On Leaving History

 

Naval and Omotoyosi Ogunbanwo made me start considering tech very seriously. But the last straw on the camel's back that made me abandon my masters in history prospects was (ironically research).

I scoured the internet, for career progression for someone studying history. Nothing really positive. Infact, even Caucasians themselves said they are not seeing any jobs. Those that got employed at museum said they did art history, so archaeology graduates have better chances of placements than pure history.

I visited Reddit, Quora and the end goal usually ultimately ends up as a professor, of which I am not the most patient person for it. I then searched career progression of programming and unless Jesus Christ comes down today, they'll always be need for programmers, even with the A.I. 

I said, even if maths is a must, I'll go back and learn. It's not as if I was not good at maths before. Anyways, I am not earning as much as I'd like, but I am where i am supposed to be. I love my gigs, my coworkers, the freedom it gives, and my employers are just Godsent. In all the meetings we've scheduled on Saturday, I've been sent money for lunch. No one is questioning if I'm skilled. And no one has ever asked me when I graduated, what I did in school, if I have gone for NYSC or even whether I have a degree in the first place. 

My only regret is that I didn't start earlier. But I'm not late in tech. Even if you start next 10 years, you are not late, especially in this Nigeria

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion

Fiction - The Blue Torch

A Chunk on Anything - To Go To School Or Nay?